Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New Project

Welcome to the home of the "I am an American" project. This concept was born out of the realities that some Americans struggle with every day. Primarily, being accepted as Americans. The civil rights struggle began fifty years ago in the South, but it is still being fought every day. Across the country. Even today, where words such as "acceptance" and "understanding" are common place, Americans are still looked down upon because they look different, or talk different than the rest of us. Interesting note; I'm white and live in California and I sound different when I speak than my relatives from the Mid-West.

I hope a great deal of people find this blog, read it and keep up with the project.

First things first, I need to test the concept. My idea is to shoot it using traditional processes, with the phrase, "I am an American," across the photo in the subjects own hand. When possible, in their native language. I plan to shoot everything in the studio, when I can find one I can use, and display an American flag behind the subject. I know it's ambitious, but no one ever made a difference being timid.

Please check back for updates on the progress of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment