Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Confirmation

I have my first confirmed subject. I have a Wal-Mart employee who is willing to get in front of the camera wearing his Wal-Mart uniform. I am excited. I worked retail for a large portion of my life, and I can tell you that in general, retail employees are very much marginalized. Customers often look down on them because, well, they work retail. They don't get paid very much and are there for less important. They are even marginalized by their employers. Wal-Mart pays so little, that their employees often qualify for welfare benefits. Wal-Mart, the marginalization is practiced from the top down. The end employees, the ones who do all the dirty work, just don't matter. They are replaceable and there for do not derserve the same treatment as the corporate employees. In other retail environments, the marginalization is not necessarily encouraged, but there is very little done to stop it. I know from my personal experience that expectations are placed on the end employees based solely on what the numbers say and do nothing to take into account the human element, or even reality. The employees in these situations are terrified to raise any issues to upper management, and the government does little to protect the employee.

So, one subject confirmed, and only 23 days of fund raising left to go. If you have been considering it, now is the time to make the decision. Time is ticking away and I need the help. Please help me tell the story

No comments:

Post a Comment